DOAN VIET HOAT
4908 Ravensworth Road,
Annandale, VA 22003, USA
Tel. (703) 256-0277 Fax (703) 256-0918
(Updated Jan. 2005)
- Ph.D. Higher Education and
Administration, 1971 Florida State
University, Tallahassee, Florida
- - Doctorate Thesis: The Development of Modern Higher Education in Vietnam: A Focus on Cultural and Socio-Political Forces, 1971.
- M.A., Educational Administration, Florida State University, 1969.
- Chairman, International Institute for Vietnam, Washington DC, USA. (2000-Present)
- Co-Director, Program
for Civil Society in Southeast Asia, Columbus School of Law, Catholic
University of America, (2001-2004)
Scholar, Columbus School of Law, Catholic
University of America, Washington, DC, USA, October 2000 - present.
-- Research and Lecture on Human Rights and Democracy.
- Board of
-- IGFM (Internationale Gesellschaft fur Menschenrechte), Frankfurt, Germany
-- WPFC (World Press Freedom
Committee), Virginia, USA.
- Scholar-in-Residence, Columbus
School of Law, Catholic University of America, Washington DC, USA, October 1998 - 2000 -- Research and Lecture on Human Rights and Democracy.
- Editor and
Publisher, Dien Dan Tu Do (Freedom
Forum, Saigon, 1988-1990. Underground
magazine, published and circulated in Vietnam to promote and exchange opinions
on human rights and democracy.
- Editor, TU
TUONG (Thought) Magazine. Official cultural and educational
magazine of Van Hanh University, 1973-1975.
Rector, Van Hanh University, Saigon,
- Professor of Education, Educational Administration and Social Studies, Van Hanh
- Master and Ph.D. Degree Student at FSU, Asia Foundation
- Executive Manager, Language
Center, Van Hanh University, 1966-1967.
Secretary of the Rector, Van Hanh University, 1966.
- Teacher of English, Chu Van An High School, Saigon. 1965-1966.
- Prisoner of
Conscience (Amnesty International): Being arrested and imprisoned from 1976 without charges. Released in
1988 and re-arrested in 1990 and sentenced to 20 years, lowered down to 15
years on appeal, for publishing, writing and editing
- Freedom Forum advocating
human rights and democracy. Released and deported directly from prison to the
United Sates on September 1, 1998.
Freedom Award, by Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation, Oct. 14,
Press Freedom Hero, by IPI (International Press Institute), May 3,
- Golden Pen
Award, by World Association of Newspapers (WAN), 1998.
- Robert F.
Kennedy Human Rights Award, 1995.
and Hammett Free Expression Award, Human
Rights Watch, 1994.
Freedom Award, Committee
to Protect Journalists, New York, 1993.
- Man of the
Year, by Ngày Nay and other Vietnamese magazines, USA., 1992.
America, PEN Canada, PEN Poland, PEN France, PEN Swiss.
Rights Reports, Human Rights Watch/Asia, in many
monthly and yearly reports.
- "The Development of Modern Higher Education in Vietnam, a Focus on Cultural and Socio-Political Forces." Dissertation Thesis, Florida State University, 1970.
- Articles in Tư Tưởng (Thought)
Magazine, Van Hạnh University, 1973-1975.
- Diễn Đàn Tự Do (Freedom Forum), Underground Magazine, Saigon, 1988-1990.
- Thơ Quốc Nội, (Letter From the Homeland), published by Người Dân (The People) Magazine,
- Đối Sách Của Đảng CSVN Trong Tình Hình Hiện Nay (CPVN's
Policy to Face the Present Situation), Trăm
Con Magazine, Ontario, Canada, September 1992.
- Doan Viet Hoat and the Case of Freedom Forum (in
Vietnamese and English), Trăm Hoa, California, 1993.
- Tâm Tình Đoàn Viết Hoạt, (Doan Viet Hoat's Inmost Feelings), Poems, Phong
Trào Nhân Quyền Cho Việt Nam Năm 2000, Caliornia, 1995.
- Đóa Từ Tâm, (Compassion
Flower), Poems, Phong Trào Nhận Quyền 2000, California, 1999.
- Hành Trình Dân Tộc trong Thời Đại Toàn Cầu Hóa, Thang
Long Publishers, Midway, CA, USA, 2005.
and Speeches, 1998-2000, in websites www.iivn.org, www.doanviethoat.org
and Interviews in US, international, and Vietnamese radios, newspapers and